The Land • al-Balad
In the name of God, the Compassionate, the Merciful.
1. I swear by this land.
2. And you are free in this land.
3. And by a father and what he fathered.
4. We created the human being in distress.
5. Does he think that none will ever have power over him?
6. He says, “I have squandered vast wealth.”
7. Does he think that no one sees him?
8. Did We not make for him two eyes?
9. And a tongue, and two lips?
10. And We guided him to the two ways?
11. But he did not brave the ascent.
12. And how would you know what the ascent is?
13. The freeing of a slave.
14. Or the feeding on a day of hunger.
15. Of an orphaned relative.
16. Or a destitute in the dust.
17. Then he becomes of those who believe, and advise one another to patience, and advise one another to kindness.
18. These are the people of happiness.
19. But as for those who defy Our revelations—these are the people of misery.
20. Upon them is a padlocked Fire.