Livestock • al-An'am
In the name of God, the Compassionate, the Merciful.
1. Praise be to God: Who created the heavens and the earth, and made darkness and light. Yet those who disbelieve ascribe equals to their Lord.
2. It is He Who created you from clay, then specified a span—a span determined by Him. Yet you doubt.
3. He is God in the heavens and the earth. He knows your secret and what you make public, and He knows what you earn.
4. Never did a message from among their Lord’s messages come to them, but they turned away from it.
5. They denied the truth when it came to them; but soon will reach them the news of what they used to ridicule.
6. Do they not realize how many generations We destroyed before them? We had established them on earth more firmly than We established you, and We sent the sky pouring down abundant rain on them, and We made rivers flow beneath them. But We destroyed them for their sins, and We established other civilizations after them.
7. Had We sent down upon you a book on paper, and they had touched it with their hands, those who disbelieve would have said, “This is nothing but obvious magic.”
8. And they say, “Why was no angel sent down to him.” Had We sent down an angel, the matter would have been settled, and they would not be reprieved.
9. Had We made him an angel, We would have made him a man, and confused them when they are already confused.
10. Messengers before you were ridiculed, but those who mocked them became besieged by what they ridiculed.
11. Say, “Travel the earth, and observe the fate of the deniers.”
12. Say, “To whom belongs everything in the heavens and on earth?” Say, “To God.” He has inscribed mercy for Himself. He will gather you for the Day of Resurrection, about which there is no doubt. Those who lost their souls: they do not believe.
13. To Him belongs whatever rests during the night and the day. He is the Hearing, the Knowing.
14. Say, “Shall I take for myself a master other than God, Originator of the heavens and the earth, who feeds, and is never fed?” Say, “I am commanded to be the first of those who submit.” And do not be among the associators.
15. Say, “I fear, if I disobeyed my Lord, the punishment of a tremendous Day.”
16. Whoever is spared on that Day—He had mercy on him. That is the clear victory.
17. If God touches you with adversity, none can eliminate it except He. And if He touches you with good—He is Capable of everything.
18. He is the Dominant over His servants. He is the Wise, the Expert.
19. Say, “What thing is more solemn in testimony?” Say, “God is witness between me and you. This Quran was revealed to me, so that I may warn you with it, and whomever it may reach. Do you testify that there are gods with God?” Say, “I myself do not testify.” Say, “He is only One God, and I am innocent of your associations.”
20. Those to whom We gave the Scripture recognize it as they recognize their own children. But those who lost their souls do not believe.
21. Who does more wrong than someone who fabricates lies against God, or denies His revelations? The wrongdoers will not succeed.
22. On the Day when We gather them all together, then say to those who associated, “Where are your partners whom you claimed?”
23. Their only argument will be to say, “By God, our Lord, we were not associators.”
24. Look how they lied to themselves. And what they invented has abandoned them.
25. And among them are those who listen to you. And We place coverings over their hearts, leaving them unable to understand it, and deafness in their ears. Were they to see every sign, they would not believe in it. Until, when they come to you, to argue with you, those who disbelieve will say, “These are nothing but myths of the ancients.”
26. They keep others from it, and they avoid it themselves. They ruin none but themselves, but they are unaware.
27. If only you could see, when they are detained before the Fire; they will say, “If only we could be sent back, and not reject our Lord’s revelations, and be among the faithful.”
28. What they used to conceal before will become obvious to them. And even if they were to be sent back, they would return to what they were forbidden. They are liars.
29. And they say, “There is nothing but our worldly life, and we will not be resurrected.”
30. If only you could see, when they are stationed before their Lord. He will say, “Is this not real?” They will say, “Yes indeed, by our Lord.” He will say, “Then taste the suffering for having disbelieved.”
31. Losers are those who deny the meeting with God. Then, when the Hour comes upon them suddenly, they will say, “Woe to us, for having ignored it.” They will carry their burdens on their backs—dreadful is what they carry.
32. The worldly life is no more than play and distraction, but the Home of the Hereafter is better for those who are righteous. Do you not understand?
33. We know that what they say saddens you. It is not you that they deny—it is God's revelations that the wrongdoers reject.
34. Messengers were rejected before you, but they patiently endured rejection and persecution until Our help came to them. There can be no change to God’s Words. News of the Messengers has already reached you.
35. And if you find their rejection unbearable, then if you can, seek a tunnel into the earth, or a stairway to heaven, and bring them a sign. Had God willed, He would have gathered them to guidance—so be not of the ignorant.
36. Only those who listen will respond. As for the dead, God will resurrect them. Then to Him, they will be returned.
37. And they say, “Why a miracle is not sent down to him from his Lord?” Say, “God is Able to send down a miracle, but most of them do not know.”
38. There is no creature on land, nor bird flying with its wings, but are communities like yourselves. We neglected nothing in the Scripture. Then to their Lord, they will be gathered.
39. Those who reject Our revelations are deaf and dumb, in darknesses. Whomever God wills, He leads astray. And whomever He wills, He sets on a straight path.
40. Say, “Have you considered? if God's punishment came upon you, or the Hour overtook you, would you call upon any other than God, if you are truthful?”
41. In fact, it is Him you will call upon. And if He wills, He will eliminate what you called Him for, and you will forget what you idolized.
42. We sent messengers to communities before you, and We afflicted them with misfortunes and hardships, so that they may be humbled.
43. If only, when Our Might came upon them, they humbled themselves. But their hearts hardened, and Satan beautified for them what they were doing.
44. Then, when they disregarded what they were reminded of, We opened the gates of all things for them. Until, when they delighted in what they were given, We seized them suddenly; and at once, they were in despair.
45. Thus was cut off the last remnant of the people who did wrong. And praise be to God, Lord of the Worlds!
46. Say, “Have you considered? If God takes away your hearing and your sight, and He sealed your hearts, which god other than God would restore them to you?” Note how We vary the signs, yet they still turn away.
47. Say, “Have you considered? if God's punishment comes to you suddenly, or gradually, would any be destroyed except the wrongdoing people?”
48. We do not send messengers except as deliverers of good news and Warners. Whoever believes and reforms—no fear shall come upon them, nor shall they grieve.
49. But as for those who reject Our revelations—suffering will afflict them because of their defiance.
50. Say, “I do not say to you that I possess the treasuries of God; nor do I know the unseen; nor do I say to you that I am an angel. I only follow what is inspired in me.” Say, “Are the blind and the seeing equal? Will you not reflect?”
51. And warn with it those who fear being gathered before their Lord—they have no protector or intercessor besides Him—so perhaps they will be mindful.
52. And do not dismiss those who call upon their Lord, morning and evening, desiring His attention. You are not accountable for them whatsoever, nor are they accountable for you whatsoever. If you dismiss them, you become one of the wrongdoers.
53. Thus We test some by means of others, so that they may say, “Are these the ones God favored out of all of us?” Is God not aware of the appreciative?
54. When those who believe in Our revelations come to you, say, “Peace be upon you, your Lord has taken upon Himself mercy. Whoever among you does evil in ignorance, then repents afterward and reforms—He is Forgiving and Merciful.”
55. Thus We explain the revelations, and to expose the path of the criminals.
56. Say, “I am forbidden from worshiping those you invoke besides God.” Say, “I will not follow your desires, for then I would have gone astray, and I would not be among the guided.”
57. Say, “I stand upon clear evidence from my Lord, and you have rejected Him. I do not possess what you seek me to expedite. The decision belongs to God alone. He relates the truth, and He is the Best of Deciders.”
58. Say, “If I possessed what you seek me to expedite, the matter between you and me would have been settled. And God knows best the wrongdoers.”
59. With Him are the keys of the unseen—none knows them except He. And He knows everything on land and sea. Not even a leaf falls without His knowledge, nor a single grain in earth’s darkness, nor anything wet or dry—but is in a clear record.
60. It is He Who takes you by night, and He knows what you earn by day. Then He raises you up, so that a term appointed may be fulfilled. Then to Him is your return, and He will inform you of what you used to do.
61. He is the Dominant over His servants, and He sends guardians over you. Until, when death comes to one of you, Our envoys take him back, and they never neglect their duty.
62. Then they are returned to God, their True Master. Unquestionably, His is the command, and He is the Swiftest of reckoners.
63. Say, “Who saves you from the darkness of land and sea, when you call upon Him humbly and inwardly, ‘If only He saves us from this, we will be among the thankful’?”
64. Say, “It is God who saves you from it, and from every distress. Yet then you associate others with Him.”
65. Say, “He is Able to send upon you an affliction, from above you, or from beneath your feet, or divide you into factions, and make you taste the violence of one another. Note how We explain the revelations, so they may understand.”
66. But your people have rejected it, although it is the truth. Say, “I am not a keeper over you.”
67. For every happening is a finality, and you will soon know.
68. When you encounter those who gossip about Our revelations, turn away from them, until they engage in a different topic. But should Satan make you forget, do not sit after the recollection with the wrongdoing people.
69. The righteous are in no way accountable for them. It is a reminder, so that they may abstain.
70. And leave alone those who take their religion for play and pastime, and who are deluded by the worldly life. But remind with it, lest a soul becomes damned on account of what it has earned. It has no protector apart from God, nor any mediator. And even if it offers every equivalent, none will be accepted from it. These are the ones delivered to condemnation by their actions. They will have a drink of boiling liquid, and a painful punishment, because they used to disbelieve.
71. Say, “Shall we call upon besides God something that can neither benefit us nor harm us, and be turned back on our heels after God has guided us; like someone seduced by the devils and confused on earth, although he has friends calling him to guidance: 'Come to us'?” Say, “God’s guidance is the guidance, and we were commanded to surrender to the Lord of the Universe.”
72. “And to perform the prayers, and to revere Him. It is to Him that you will be gathered.”
73. It is He who created the heavens and the earth in truth. On the Day when He says: “Be,” it will be. His Word is the truth, and His is the sovereignty on the Day when the trumpet is blown. The Knower of secrets and declarations. He is the Wise, the Expert.
74. And when Abraham said to his father, Azar, “Do you take idols as gods? I see that you and your people are clearly misguided.”
75. Thus We showed Abraham the empire of the heavens and the earth, so that he may be of those with certainty.
76. When the night fell over him, he saw a planet. He said, “This is my lord!” But when it set, he said, “I do not like those that set.”
77. Then, when he saw the moon rising, he said, “This is my lord!” But when it set, he said, “If my Lord does not guide me, I will be of the misguided people.”
78. Then, when he saw the sun rising, he said, “This is my Lord!—it is the biggest.” But when it set, he said, “O my people, I am innocent of your idolatry.
79. I have turned my attention towards Him Who created the heavens and the earth—a monotheist—and I am not of the polytheists.”
80. And his people argued with him. He said, “Do you argue with me about God—when He has guided me? I do not fear whatever you associate with Him—unless my Lord wills. My Lord encompasses all things in Knowledge. Will you not be mindful?
81. And why should I fear the partners you ascribe, and you do not fear associating others with God—a practice He never authorized for you? Which side is more entitled to security, if you happen to know?”
82. Those who believe, and do not obscure their faith with wrongdoing—it is they who have security, and they are guided.
83. That was Our argument, which We gave to Abraham against his people. We elevate by degrees whomever We will. Your Lord is Wise and Informed.
84. And We bestowed upon him Isaac and Jacob—each of them We guided. And We guided Noah previously. And from his descendants: David, Solomon, Job, Joseph, Moses, and Aaron. Thus We reward the good-doers.
85. And Zechariah, John, Jesus, and Elias—each was among the upright.
86. And Ishmael, Elisha, Jonah, and Lot—each We favored above all other people.
87. And of their ancestors, and their descendants, and their siblings—We chose them, and We guided them on a straight path.
88. This is God’s guidance. He guides with it whom He wills of His servants. Had they associated, their deeds would have been in vain.
89. Those were the ones to whom We gave the Scripture, judgment, and prophethood. But if these reject them, We have entrusted them to a people who will not disbelieve in them.
90. They are those whom God has guided, so follow their guidance. Say, “I ask of you no compensation for it—it is only a reminder for all humankind.”
91. They do not appreciate God as He should be appreciated, when they say, “God did not reveal anything to any human being.” Say, “Who then revealed the Scripture that Moses brought—enlightenment and guidance for the people?” You put it on scrolls, displaying them while hiding much. And you were taught what you never knew—neither you nor your ancestors. Say, “God.” Then leave them toying away in their speculation.
92. This too is a Scripture which We revealed—blessed—confirming what preceded it, so that you may warn the Foremost of Cities and those around it. Those who believe in the Hereafter believe in it, and they are dedicated to their prayers.
93. Who does more wrong than someone who invents lies against God, or says, “It was revealed to me,” when nothing was revealed to him, or says, “I can reveal the like of what God revealed”? If only you could see the wrongdoers in the floods of death, while the angels with arms outstretched: “Give up your souls. Today you will be repaid with the suffering of shame for having said about God other than the truth, and for being too proud to accept His revelations.”
94. “You have come to Us individually, just as We created you the first time, leaving behind you everything We have provided you with. We do not see your intercessors with you—those you claimed were your partners. The bonds between you are now severed, and what you had assumed has failed you.”
95. It is God Who splits the grain and the kernel. He brings the living from the dead, and He brings the dead from the living. That is God—so how could you deviate?
96. It is He Who breaks the dawn. And He made the night for rest, and the sun and the moon with precision. Such is the design of the Almighty, the All-Knowing.
97. And it is He Who made the stars for you, so you may be guided by them through the darkness of land and sea. We thus explain the revelations for people who know.
98. And it is He who produced you from a single being, then a repository, then a depository. We have detailed the revelations for people who understand.
99. And it is He who sends down water from the sky. With it, We produce vegetation of all kinds, from which We bring greenery, from which We produce grains in clusters. And date-palms with hanging clusters, and vineyards, and olives, and pomegranates—similar and dissimilar. Look at its fruit when it bears and it ripens. Surely in this are signs for people who believe.
100. Yet they attributed to God partners—the sprites—although He created them. And they pierced for Him sons and daughters, without any knowledge. Glory be to Him! Exalted is He, beyond what they describe.
101. The Originator of the heavens and the earth—how can He have a child, when He had no companion? He created everything, and He knows everything.
102. That is God, your Lord. There is no god except He, the Creator of all things. So worship Him. And He is the Maintainer of all things.
103. No vision can grasp Him, but His grasp is over all vision. He is the Subtle, the Expert.
104. Insights have come to you from your Lord. Whoever sees, it is to the benefit of his own soul. And whoever is blind, it is to its detriment. “And I am not a guardian over you.”
105. We thus diversify the revelations, lest they say, “You have studied,” and to clarify them for people who know.
106. Follow what was revealed to you from your Lord. There is no god except He. And turn away from the associators.
107. Had God willed, they would not have associated. We did not appoint you as a keeper over them, nor are you a manager over them.
108. And do not insult those they call upon besides God, lest they insult God out of hostility and ignorance. Thus We made attractive to every community their deeds. Then to their Lord is their return, and He will inform them of what they used to do.
109. And they swear by God, with their most solemn oaths, that if a miracle were to come to them, they would believe in it. Say, “Miracles are only with God.” And what will make you realize, that even if they were to come, they would still not believe?
110. And We turn away their hearts and their visions, as they refused to believe in it the first time, and We leave them blundering in their rebellion.
111. And even if We sent down the angels to them, and the dead spoke to them, and We gathered all things before them, they still would not believe, unless God wills; but most of them do not know.
112. And so We have assigned to every prophet an enemy—devilish humans and jinn—inspiring one another with elegant words of deception. Had your Lord willed, they would not have done it. So leave them to their deceit.
113. So that the hearts of those who disbelieve in the Hereafter may be receptive to it, and be pleased with it, and be persistent in whatever they pursue.
114. “Shall I seek a judge other than God, when it is He who revealed the Book to you, perfectly explained?” Those to whom We gave the Book know that it is the truth revealed from your Lord. So do not be of those who doubt.
115. The Word of your Lord has been completed, in truth and justice. There is no changing to His Words. He is the Hearer, the Knower.
116. Were you to obey most of those on earth, they would misguide you from God's way. They follow nothing but speculation, and they only guess.
117. Your Lord knows best those who stray from His path, and He knows best the rightly guided.
118. So eat of that over which God’s Name has been pronounced: if you are believers in His messages.
119. And why should you not eat of that over which God’s Name is pronounced—when He has detailed for you what is prohibited for you—unless you are compelled by necessity? Many lead astray with their opinions, through lack of knowledge. Your Lord knows best the transgressors.
120. So abandon sin, outward and inward. Those who commit sins will be repaid for what they used to perpetrate.
121. And do not eat from that over which God’s Name was not pronounced, for it is an abomination. The devils inspire their followers to argue with you. And if you were to obey them, then you would be polytheists.
122. Is someone who was dead, and to whom We give life, making for him a light by which he walks among people, like someone in darkness from which he cannot emerge? Thus the doings of unbelievers are made to appear good to them.
123. And so We placed in every town its leading criminals, to conspire in it, but they conspire only against themselves, though they are unaware.
124. And whenever a Verse comes to them, they say, “We will not believe until we are given the like of what was given to God’s messengers .” God knows best where to place His message. Humiliation from God and severe punishment will afflict the criminals for their scheming.
125. Whomever God wills to guide, He expands his chest for submission. And Whomever He wills to lead astray, He makes his chest narrow and constricted, as if he were ascending up the sky. Thus God lays defilement upon those who do not believe.
126. This is the Path of your Lord—straight. We have explained the revelations in detail, for people who reflect.
127. For them is the Home of Peace with their Lord, and He is their Master, because of what they used to do.
128. On the Day when He gathers them together: “O assembly of demons, you have exploited multitudes of humans.” Their adherents among humankind will say, “Our Lord, we have benefited from one another, and now we have reached the term that you have appointed for us.” He will say, “The Fire is your residence, yours to stay in forever, except as God wills. Your Lord is Wise and Informed.
129. Thus We make some wrongdoers befriend one another, because of what they used to do.
130. “O assembly of demons and humans! Did not messengers come to you from among you, relating to you My messages, and warning you of the meeting of this Day of yours?” They will say, “We testify against ourselves.” The world's life seduced them. And they will testify against themselves that they were unbelievers.
131. That is because your Lord would never destroy towns for their wrongdoing while their inhabitants are unaware.
132. To each are degrees in accordance with what they have done. And your Lord is not unaware of what they do.
133. Your Lord is the Rich Beyond Need, Full of Mercy. If He wills, He can do away with you, and substitute in your place whomever He wills, just as He produced you from the descendants of another people.
134. What you are promised is coming, and you cannot prevent it.
135. Say, “O my people! Work according to your ability, and so will I. You will soon know who will fare best in the end.” The wrongdoers will not succeed.
136. And they dedicate to God a share of the crops and the livestock He created, saying, “This belongs to God.” Or so they claim. “And this belongs to our idols.” But the share of their idols does not reach God, yet the share of God reaches their idols. Evil is the judgment they make!
137. Likewise, their idols entice many idolaters to kill their children, to lead them to their ruin, and confuse them in their faith. Had God willed, they would not have done it. So leave them to their fraud.
138. And they say, “These animals and crops are restricted; none may eat them except those we permit,” so they claim, and animals whose backs are forbidden, and animals over which they do not pronounce God’s Name—falsely attributing lies to Him. He will repay them for their lies.
139. And they say, “What is in the wombs of these animals is exclusively for our males, and prohibited to our wives.” But if it is stillborn, then they may all share it. He will repay them for their allegations. He is Wise and Knowing.
140. Lost are those who kill their children foolishly, out of ignorance, and make forbidden what God has provided for them—falsely attributing lies to God. They are lost. They are not guided.
141. It is He who produces gardens, both cultivated and wild, and date-palms, and crops of diverse tastes, and olives and pomegranates, similar and dissimilar. Eat of its fruit when it yields, and pay its due on the day of its harvest, and do not be excessive. He does not like the wasteful.
142. And among the livestock are some for transportation, and some for clothing. Eat of what God has provided for you, and do not follow Satan’s footsteps. He is to you an outright enemy.
143. Eight pairs: two of the sheep, and two of the goats. Say, “Did He forbid the two males, or the two females, or what the wombs of the two females contain? Inform me with knowledge, if you are truthful.”
144. And two of the camels, and two of the cows. Say, “Did He forbid the two males, or the two females, or what the wombs of the two females contain? Or were you present when God instructed you to this?” Who does more wrong than he who fabricates lies against God, in order to mislead people without knowledge? God does not guide the wicked people.
145. Say, “In what was revealed to me, I find nothing forbidden to a consumer who eats it, except carrion, or spilled blood, or the flesh of swine—which is impure—or a sinful offering dedicated to other than God. But if someone is compelled by necessity, without willfully disobeying or transgressing, then your Lord is Forgiving and Merciful.”
146. For the Jews, We forbade everything with undivided hoofs. As of cattle and sheep: We forbade them their fat, except what adheres to their backs, or the entrails, or what is mixed with bone. Thus We penalized them for their iniquity. And surely We are truthful.
147. If they accuse you of lying, say, “Your Lord is Possessor of limitless mercy, but His wrath cannot be averted from the guilty people.”
148. The polytheists will say, “Had God willed, we would not have practiced idolatry, nor our forefathers, nor would we have prohibited anything.” Likewise, those before them lied—until they tasted Our fury. Say, “Do you have any knowledge that you can produce for us? You follow nothing but assumptions, and you only lie.”
149. Say, “God has the most conclusive argument. Had He willed, He would have guided you all.”
150. Say, “Bring forward your witnesses who will testify that God has prohibited this.” If they testify, do not testify with them. And do not follow the whims of those who deny Our revelation, nor those who disbelieve in the Hereafter and equate others with their Lord.
151. Say, “Come, let me tell you what your Lord has forbidden you: that you associate nothing with Him; that you honor your parents; that you do not kill your children because of poverty—We provide for you and for them; that you do not approach indecencies, whether outward or inward; and that you do not kill the soul which God has sanctified, except in the pursuit of justice. All this He has enjoined upon you, so that you may understand.”
152. And do not approach the orphan’s property, except with the best intentions, until he has reached maturity. And give full weight and full measure, with equity. We never burden a soul beyond its capacity. And when you speak, be fair, even regarding a relative. And fulfill your pledge to God. All this He has enjoined upon you, so that you may be mindful.
153. This is My path, straight, so follow it. And do not follow the other paths, lest they divert you from His path. All this He has enjoined upon you, so that you may refrain from wrongdoing.
154. Then We gave Moses the Scripture, complete for the righteous, and explaining everything clearly, and guidance, and mercy, so they may believe in the meeting with their Lord.
155. This too is a blessed Scripture that We revealed. So follow it, and be righteous, so you may receive mercy.
156. Lest you say, “The Scripture was revealed to two parties before us, and we were unaware of their teachings.”
157. Or lest you say, “Had the Scripture been revealed to us, we would have been better guided than they.” Clarifications have come to you from your Lord, and guidance, and mercy. Who then does more wrong than he who denies God's messages and turns away from them? We will repay those who turn away from Our communications with the worst kind of punishment, because of their turning away.
158. Are they waiting for anything but for the angels to come to them, or for your Lord to arrive, or for some of your Lord’s signs to appear? On the Day when some of your Lord’s signs appear, no soul will benefit from its faith unless it had believed previously, or had earned goodness through its faith. Say, “Keep waiting! We too are waiting.”
159. As for those who divided their religion and became denominations: you have nothing to do with them. Their case rests with God. Then He will inform them of what they used to do.
160. Whoever brings a good deed will have ten times its like. And whoever brings a bad deed will be repaid only with its equivalent—and they will not be wronged.
161. Say, “My Lord has guided me to a straight path, an upright religion, the faith of Abraham the Monotheist—and he was not of the associators.”
162. Say, “My prayer and my worship, and my life and my death, are devoted to God, the Lord of the Universes.
163. There is no partner for Him. Thus I am commanded, and I am the first of the Submitters.”
164. Say, “Am I to seek a Lord other than God, when He is the Lord of everything?” No soul gets except its due, and none bears the burdens of another. Then to your Lord is your return, and He will inform you of your differences.
165. It is He who made you successors on the earth, and raised some of you above others in ranks, to test you through what He has given you. Your Lord is Swift in retribution, and He is Forgiving and Merciful.